I’ve really been obsessing about some things lately so I thought I’d share.
- Jon’s tomato plants. He asked me to keep them alive while he was away. This totally stressed me out. I can not handle this type of responsibility.
- Hummus. This hummus. So spicy. So crazy good.
- Justin Bieber’s new song, Die In Your Arms. iTunes conveniently counts how many times a song is played but I can’t share that info because it’s straight embarrassing. This song is totally Jackson 5ish. Go ahead, listen.
- Getting tickets to Bieb’s concert here in November. I have to be there. I will be there.
- Organizing the refrigerator. Like everyday.
- Gazpacho. I made some and it was terrible. But then I went here and it was amazing. I will try again. Or I’ll just go back there. I’ll probably just go back there.
- Planning showers. Baby ones and wedding ones. I hate real showers. I love party showers.
- Green juice. I’m loving it! Kale, spinach, romaine, lemon, apple, parsley and cucumber. I’m not going to rave about how delicious it is, because it’s not. Ice cream is delicious. Green juice is not (unless it’s loaded with fruit). It’s not bad though, and it makes me feel amazing so I find myself having at least one a day. It’s my magic potion. I’m convinced it cures all.
- Speaking of ice cream. Obsessed. I recently promised to be healthy here in this little space of mine so I’m refraining. But it’s 100 degrees here…ice cream is coming.
- The Facebaby. Can’t get enough.
- Did I say hummus?
- Instagram. Come play! I’m @makeitnaked
- Cheese. All kinds. But really, feta has my heart right now.
- Summer fruit. Particularly watermelon. Watermelon. Everyday.
- This salad.
Over Memorial Day weekend, my lovely friends made this salad for brunch one day and as I sat there with a fork scraping the bottom of the serving bowl for any remaining bites, I knew I had to make it again to share here. It’s salty, sweet, fresh and simple. It’s healthy and gorgeous. It’s summer.
Arugula, Watermelon and Feta Salad (adapted from Ina Garten)
For the salad:
6 cups arugula
1/4 seedless watermelon
12 ounces feta cheese
1 cup fresh mint, chopped
For the vinaigrette:
The juice of 2 large oranges
The juice of 2 lemons
2 shallots, pressed through a garlic press, or minced
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cube the watermelon and feta into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces.
- Toss the watermelon and feta with the mint.
- Combine watermelon mixture with the arugula in a large bowl.
- For the vinaigrette, combine the orange juice, lemon juice, shallots, salt and pepper in a bowl. Slowly pour in the extra virgin olive oil while whisking vigorously. Serve over salad immediately. Or store separately in the refrigerator.
- This salad does not keep. The ingredients are very wet so it will get soggy if it sits for too long.
- The vinaigrette made more than I needed. Use as much or as little as you’d like. I saved the rest and used it throughout the week.
- Stay cool east coast!